Welcome to Hawken Project!

This blog is where you will be sharing your thoughts, ideas, impressions etc. about your Project experience. What you should do: 1. post a substantial blog three times a week (minimum 200 words on Monday, Wednesday, & Friday). 2. Respond thoughtfully to another post on this site (one minimum per week). If you are working as part of a group, each of you is expected to contribute individually and regularly to this blog. Happy blogging and happy Project experience to all of you!

Thursday, June 5, 2014

Final Post

It might be a little bit more boring a little bit more big picture but I did want to take at least one post to give an overview of everything I did, everything I experienced, and everything I gained. My internship with Westlake Reed Leskosky firm turned out unbelievably. I came in wanting to jump right in and dive deep and that is exactly what I did. I learned a lot due to a couple circumstances like this and I'm happy that they created a full immersion environment for me the gain and learn a lot from.

Like I said, at the beginning, my choice was to just jump right into architecture. I truly believe that the best way anyone can learn quickly is if they just jump right in, make mistakes fast, and learn from them fast. That's the ideology I followed and it pulled me through in an unbelievable way. Of course this created a bit of an awkward start for me as it would for anyone, but jumping right in made things a little bit easier for my sponsor and broke the ice a little bit as far as getting started and getting the ball rolling.

Another circumstance that made my experience all the better is that my sponsor was willing to let me do an independent project and let me have some independence. I did see him every day. I got to hear his input, his advice, his methods. I also got to hear similar things from other architects and employees at the firm. These things helped me learn and grow, but what was more important to my learning and growth was having that independence where I learned how to do things on my own, take advantage of resources on my own, and make mistakes on my own. As a result, I was able to do a lot of iterating under these circumstances which really made my experience that much better.

Overall, I'm really thankful that this program was able to follow through for me. I used what I new about jumping right in and full immersion and really applied it here. I'm happy I did because my sponsor created an environment that really supported that. As a result, I learned a lot and did a lot. There's more to come in my presentation on Friday, so I'll leave it at that for now.

No comments:

Post a Comment